- About Us
- National Strategy & Delivery
- Skills & Training
- Research & Resources
- Scotland's Museums
The complex of buildings known as the Chambers Institution was given to the townspeople of Peebles...
The complex of buildings known as the Chambers Institution was given to the townspeople of Peebles in 1859 for their social, moral and intellectual improvement by Dr. William Chambers, the publisher, who was born in Peebles in 1800. Tweeddale Museum, which is housed in the main building, aims to keep up this tradition of learning while presenting a series of lively displays based on the history of the district and the rich, somewhat exotic collection established by William Chambers. The Picture Gallery is an original Victorian gallery housed within the Chambers Institution. Today the space is used for a wide variety of temporary exhibitions and workshops.
To ensure there has been no change to the opening times or details on this page, please check with the museum directly before visiting.