Trustees at Robert Burns Ellisland Trust
Part time, Two days per month
Contract: Maximum of six years, single term is three years
Closing date 31st December 2023
About the role
The Robert Burns Ellisland Trust is recruiting to its board of trustees, including a Chair of the Board. These appointments are critical to strengthen and develop the trust at an exciting time in their history. They are moving forward as a newly accredited museum and embarking on an ambitious plan to develop the heritage site as a cultural destination of international significance. This will require the Trust to raise significant funds, support the maintenance and development of the farm buildings and collection and monitor and manage a major capital project.
Trustees have an active role in managing and helping fundraise for the work of the Trust.
Overview of Responsibilities
They will be expected to:
- Offer firm strategic direction to the organisation.
- Set overall policy.
- Define goals.
- Set targets.
- Evaluate performance against agreed targets to safeguard the good name,
and values of the organisation.
- Ensure the financial stability and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Protect and manage the property of the trust.
- Ensure appropriate investment of the Trust’s funds.
- Appoint any officers and monitor their performance.
- In general comply with all trustee fiduciary duties under charity law.
They will also need to demonstrate:
- Preparedness to be involved directly in management supervision and
fundraising for the Trust.
- Business acumen.
- A strong sense of accountability.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Board level experience of the private or public sector is also desirable.
- Knowledge of and passion for Dumfries and Galloway.
The trust is specifically looking for trustees with some of the following skills and experience:
- Project management
- Business development
- Tourism and economic development
- Local and/or national government
- Working with trusts and foundations
- Working with individual giving
- Cultural heritage
- Marketing and communications specific to the cultural sector
- Education and community development
- Charity governance
- Legal issues
- Human resources
Job Contact Details
To apply: Please e-mail a one-page expression of interest outlining your skills and past experience, why the experience outlined would benefit the Ellisland Trust, and why you want to join. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date 31st December 2023.