About the Event
Would you like to develop the practical skills and knowledge to courier objects from your collections safely and efficiently? Couriers are often required when moving objects between venues for short or long term loans, and sometimes research. The courier’s role involves much more than ensuring the safe transit of an object to its destination, and this course aims to increase awareness of the different responsibilities of a courier before, during and after the journey.
This workshop aims to develop practical skills and knowledge for the couriering of objects. The course is designed to teach participants about the logistic, legal, conservation and packing requirements for lending objects.
Participants can be from any type of collecting organisation with relevant collections but the course is not aimed at staff with in-depth knowledge of the subject area. Priority will be given to staff members who can immediately implement the knowledge gained in their organisation following course attendance.
Following this workshop participants should:
- Have increased knowledge of when and why couriers should be used.
- Have an increased awareness of the logistics of object transit and working with shipping.
- Have an understanding of what legal paperwork needs to be completed and how this should be applied in practice.
- Have increased knowledge of the key principles of condition checking and packing objects for couriering.
- Have increased awareness of where to go for further advice.