- About Us
- National Strategy & Delivery
- Skills & Training
- Research & Resources
- Scotland's Museums
Blairs Museum contains spectacular collections spanning more than 500 years while the beauty of St. Mary’s Chapel never fails to make an impression.
Blairs College was a training school for boys of secondary school age considering a calling to the priesthood. Established in 1829 it closed in 1986. Visit the museum and learn more about the story of the college.
From its establishment in 1829 Blairs became home to a magnificent collection of paintings, church textiles, sacred silver and Jacobite memorabilia from a number of benefactors including bishops, priests and friends of Blairs as well as inheriting important collections from the former Scots Colleges throughout Europe. It was recognised as a safe place to receive and preserve artefacts relating to Scotland’s Catholic heritage.
A painting in the collection of the young ‘Bonnie Prince Charlie’ was recently selected as the recipient of a prestigious conservation award from Woodmansterne Publications Ltd. This has enabled the painting to be taken down to Edinburgh for major restoration work. It is to be hoped that, upon his return, he will once again cut a dash alongside his relatives in the museum.
When Blairs College closed in 1986, an independent Trust was created, overseen by the Scottish Catholic Heritage Commission, to preserve, interpret and display this important collection of religious heritage. Blairs Museum is currently housed in the former sacristy.
To ensure there has been no change to the opening times or details on this page, please check with the museum directly before visiting.