What is a Modern Apprenticeship?
A Modern Apprenticeship is a job which lets people earn a wage and gain an industry-recognised qualification through work-based learning. It’s an opportunity open to both new hires and existing employees who are between the ages of 16 to 29 years old. Work-based learning is an excellent way to help staff learn new skills while continuing to fulfil their job role. They typically take 12 to 18 months for a learner to complete. There is no cost to the employer for the training opportunity beyond the existing cost of the employees’ wages/salary.
As an SQA Training Centre, we deliver two different Modern Apprenticeship qualifications. Museums & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship and Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship.
Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship
We deliver a limited number of Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeships across Scotland annually.
As we spend more time online, digital marketing has become an essential way to reach larger audiences than through traditional marketing methods. Hosting a Digital Marketing Modern Apprentice in your museum or gallery is an ideal way to increase your organisation’s digital capabilities. The qualification allows the learner to choose a variety of different units to develop the skills needed to be a Digital Marketing professional. As part of the apprenticeship, learners will gain a Diploma in Digital Marketing at SCQF level 6.
Some of the benefits of hosting a Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship in your organisation includes:
- Grow and reach new audiences
- Create digital media content in-house
- Learn skills in E-Commerce, Email Marketing, and Search Engine Optimisation
- Develop and establish a professional social media following and build a tailored online presence
- Develop a marketing strategy
Museum & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship
The Museum & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship launched in 2022 and supports learners to demonstrate their understanding of the museums and galleries sector. The range of optional units on offer means the apprenticeship can be tailored to meet the needs of individuals undertaking a variety of roles in museums including visitor services, curatorial, learning and engagement, and maintenance.
Learners will demonstrate their competency through practical experience. Museums and Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship involves the completion of SVQ 3 Museums and Galleries Practice at SCQF 7.
Some of the benefits of hosting a Museums & Galleries Technician Modern Apprentice in your organisation includes:
- Upskilling staff in core elements of museum practice including collections care and customer service.
- Providing opportunities for staff to develop and hone new skills through the development of continuous professional development plans and a range of optional units on subjects ranging from museum interpretation to fundraising and preventative conservation.
- The delivery of high-quality projects which adhere to best practice and organisational guidelines.
- Attracting and retaining ambitious staff members by investing in their career progression.
Host a Modern Apprentice in your Museum or Gallery
Hosting a Modern Apprentice is a great way to bring new skills and new perspectives into your organisation. Whether you’re looking to develop the skills of existing staff or bring in new talent to your team. Some benefits to hosting an apprentice in your organisation include:
- Greater financial resilience through developing skills and confidence in staff
- Bringing new, diverse perspectives into your workforce
- Offering opportunities for career growth and increasing staff retention
- Developing existing staff through supported coaching and mentoring
- Providing young people diverse routes of entry into the heritage sector
Undertaking an apprenticeship can be a life changing opportunity for a young person. Several of our former apprentices have shared their positive experiences from their time gaining their qualification.
Skills Development Scotland have created an interactive guide to support employers who have never hosted a Modern Apprentice before. Our Workforce Development team are also available to help answer your questions if you’re thinking about offering an apprenticeship in your museum or gallery.
If you would like to discuss hosting an apprentice in your organisation or would like more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0131 550 4100.